20080129

Sawadeeka (Day 1 in Bangkok)

Well, my dear friends, I've been slightly M.I.A due to the fact that :

1. I've been resting after my 5 days vacation. Hehe...

2. I've been watching HK drama series for the past 2 days. (FYI, I managed to watch the whole series in 2 days)

3. I sorta had an eye infection when I woke up on Sunday morning. (It's so bad that I felt like my right eye had been punched)

Finally, I am willing to get my lazy butt up and started to get into the blogging mode again.

Last Sunday was my first day in Bangkok..And now..I'm back from the little getaway..Oh gosh..I miss it dearly!

Yep! We flew with Emirates Airlines cuz it's sooo affordable...

Just kidding! We flew on Air Asia cuz we got the airfare for only RM8 ..Not including tax,admin fees & fuel charge of course.. With all those fees,the return airfare totaled up to RM 285 per person..Not so cheap, hor? Okay la..Slightly cheaper than the normal rate, I guess...

Budget airlines call for budget boarding pass.. Anyone would have pass it off as a receipt....

Anyhow, since it is my first time flying with the budget airline, I'm kindda excited!! Also, I'm dying to know how the Xpress Boarding works after reading some hilarious reviews about the service. Actually, they have a special lane for those who has paid for the Xpress Service and also senior citizens. Priorities are given to those passengers to board the plane a few minutes earlier so that we could not catch up with them and snatch the good seats...Haha.. IMO, you don't need Xpress Boarding as all the seats are equally good. Well, if you have RM 20 to spare, then go for it.

As usual.. The window seat is mine ;-p


After the plane touchdown at Suvarnabhumi Airport, we were greeted by the massive congestion and the uber colourful taxis in the heart of Bangkok. If you think KL's traffic gives you headache..Wait till you come to Bangkok..The roads are congested at any time of the day...It's the worst during noon. So, u gotta have strong legs in Bangkok..cuz it's faster if you walk...Seriously..

And finally, we reached our hotel..Samran Place in Petchburi Road,Ratchathewi. Why Samran Place? Hehe..cuz from our research, the room rates are pretty affordable..It's less than RM 100 a night.. And they serve really nice breakfast =) Also, it's 5 minute walk from the Ratchathewi BTS station. (BTS is one of the railway system in Bangkok)
But the plus point is that..They don't allow patrons to bring durians into the place... Hahahahha
After we've freshen up, our first stop of the day is none other than the Chatuchak Weekend Market cuz it's the weekend,baby! And this is our only chance to drop by as it only operates during the weekend from 7a.m till 6 p.m.. To get there, take the BTS Sukhumvit Line to Mo Chit Station.

Chatuchak Market is also known as Jatujak or JJ Market. It's so large that I only managed to walk one third of the market.



Upon arrival, my inner shopaholic was running around,screaming with joy as there are sooo many things to see and BUY!! No doubt that this is a tourist attraction as it has approximately 8000 vendors that sells everything and anything that you could find under the hot blazing sun. I almost spent half of my pocket money there.. Bought some uber cute t-shirts and bangles as souvenirs for my lousy good friends..They even sell these cute little puppies there..So tempted to buy it..But I can't get them back to Malaysia..
How could we miss the opportunity to try the local delicacies when we are travelling?? BBQ squids are one of the common street food that we could find in Bangkok, among other food and drinks like pancakes,waffles, freshly squeezed tangerine and so forth.


The BBQ Squid is kindda tasty especially eaten with their special chilli sauce...

Also, the Ice-Cream Bun is heaven! Served with sticky rice and evaporated milk..The combination is just heavenly delicious! The best part is that it only costs 10 baht :-D

It was love at first bite for my bro and I...and we are constantly craving for it... Initially, we could not find it anywhere except in Jatujak.. But miraculously...On our last day in Bangkok,we could see the vendors in abundant.

Not forgetting the Chocolate Milo that I bought from this stall. Seriously a thirst quencher.. Sorry la..No pics of the drink cuz I was thirsty...

There are other street food in Jatujak that I didn't have the chance to try...Either I was too full or some of the food are kindda gross...

There are lotsa stuffed sausages sold in the street...Some looked kindda gross...Others looked like...errr...never mind that...

And now...Presenting.....the best local delicacies in Thailand...


Fried creepy crawlies!!!!!


From grasshopper to the big fat worms....And cockroaches..


After 2 hours of shopping in Jatujak (Which is insufficient for me!), we decided to go to some place near our hotel for dinner.. Dinner was normal..Just some street food ...




Dessert is the time that I've been waiting for..Hehe cuz it's the Sticky Rice with Mango that I'm dying to try..The sticky rice is topped with coconut milk...Which makes it taste so delicious!

So, that's basically my first day in Bangkok...Many more updates to come..Be patient ya! Ciaoz.

No comments: