20090210

Hong Kong Revisited, Part Cinq

Finally, the last post on my HK-Macau graduation trip.

We did nothing much on the last day, except for some last-minute shopping and last-minute hunting for HK delicacies. So, this post is mainly about food (Get your napkins ready ;-p)


Along Tsing Ma Bridge, on the way to Chek Lap Kok airport. I kindda like this shot cuz the sun sparkled like diamonds.


Without any delay, below are what we had for the day:


1. Dim sum at Maxim's Palace, Tsuen Wan

Being our last day, we definitely could not missed out the ONE thing that every visitors must do when they visit Hong Kong, i.e. have dim sum. If you didn't try HK's dim sum, then you can't say you have been to HK.

Since Maxim is famous for their dim sum, we decided to head over to the Maxim in Luk Yeung Galleria; which is 5 minutes away from our hotel.




Having dim sum in HK is slightly different from Malaysia because in HK, you will be given numbers at the reception, and then you'll have to wait to get a table especially during lunch hour. Unlike in Malaysia, we could just walked in and look for the tables ourselves. Since it was only two of us, we secured a table quickly that Sunday morning. Lucky us!


Another dissimilarity is the dim sum menu. Obviously, there are dual languages on the menus in Malaysia (English and Chinese). Unfortunately in Hong Kong, there's only Chinese menu.

The dim sum menu

Of cos, if you could converse in Cantonese, you would have no problem ordering the basic dim sum dishes. I,of cos need translation for the items in the menu as I want to know what are the special dim sum dishes that aren't available in Malaysia.

Yum cha!

Our food arrived after about 10-15 minutes. Here're what we had :

Mini egg tarts

I kindda like the egg tarts because the crust is fluffy and the egg filling is just right, not too sweet or bland. If only the size were bigger!

Haar Gaau(Prawn dumpling)

The must-have dim sum dish. The taste is pretty good. You could never go wrong with haar gaau, right??

Siew Mai (Pork dumpling with topped with fish roe)


Another must-have dim sum dish. Tasted normal. I always thought all the siew mais tasted the same. Hahaha.. Think Lousybro would love it because he's the King of Siew Mais; he could have 3-4 baskets on his own.


Char Siew Pau (Steamed BBQ Pork buns)


This one tasted different from the char siu paus in Malaysia. Macho and I preferred the ones in Malaysia ! I think there were some spring onions sprinkled in the pork fillings, so we didn't liked the taste.



Cheung Fun (Rice-sheet rolls with Prawns and Scallops)

I love both the prawns and scallops cheung fun, whilst Macho preferred the ones with prawns. The taste is nothing much to shout about though.

Siew Mai with Quail's Eggs

The waiter took the wrong order for us when we told him we wanted siew mai. Instead, he ordered this for us. But we managed to change it to the normal siew mai and snap a pic before they took it away :) Sorry guys, I couldn't comment on the taste.

Beef balls with mushroom

This looks much nicer than it tasted. There were some vegetables in the beef balls, so the taste were pretty awful. We couldn't stand the taste.


Coconut Milk Jelly with Bird's Nest

I didn't get to taste this as I was too full already! Only Macho tasted it. But the presentation looked pretty pathetic to me. I think they tasted okay.

I would say that this dim sum is pretty expensive for only 2 persons. If I recalled correctly, the total bill came up to HKD 140.


2. Afternoon snacks at Ireland Potato, Tsuen Wan


I had a light snack from Ireland Potato around 3 p.m. that day, after shopping in Mongkok.

The shop is located in Fou Wah Centre, just opposite the Tsuen Wan MTR station. I saw a crowd in front of the shop, so I decided to give it a try.

Spoilt for choice. If you're daring enough, try the fruit and potato combo.


In the end, I opted for the Fries with Ireland Meat Sauce, which cost me HKD 25.

Taste wise, it's pretty okay. Would tasted better if they gave more meat sauce. I love the 'big-fat' fries though.


3. Dinner at Cafe de Coral, Chek Lap Kok Airport

After checking in at the airport, we had dinner at the airport. I chose the roasted duck and BBQ pork rice set, that comes with a bowl of watercress soup (my fav!) and a cup of hot Chinese tea.


I would say that I enjoyed the soup the most. The rest just tasted pretty ordinary. Well, you can't expect much from fast-food rite?


4. Desserts at Hui Lau Shan, Chek Lap Kok Airport

Since our flight were delayed that night, we rested for a while after dinner , before having Hui Lau Shan for one last time :)


I guess Lady Luck weren't on our side that night because Hui Lau Shan were out of Mango ice-cream that night. So, after much thought, we opted for the Mango Pudding with Mixed Fruits and Coconut Ice-cream.



Although we couldn't taste the mango ice-cream , this wasn't a bad alternative! We really wished that we could packed some of these mango desserts home so that our family and friends could taste them! I think Hui Lau Shan is definitely the highlight of our trip because we had it for 3 consecutive days!! The desserts were really something special. We hoped someone would open up a franchise in Malaysia soon~

I would say that I really enjoyed this HK trip. I had fun discovering HK and Macau by ourselves, navigating with my HK map that I got from my trip a few years back ;-p The feeling of travelling overseas without our parents is really exciting!

HK is definitely a fun place to visit, especially with their delicious food and some affordable shopping in Causeway Bay (try Jardine's Crescent). Of cos, I won't forget some of the unfriendly treatment that we got along the way.. However, there are some memorable moments too. Like when we asked a couple for directions to get to another Hui Lau Shan in Causeway Bay, they were really helpful and nice, to the extent that they came and looked for us to tell us the correct direction amidst the busy crowd! Macho and I were quite touched with the kind gesture :)

The only regret is that I didn't get to eat more of their tasty and crispy egg tarts! But no worries, I'll definitely be back :-p


Macho, thank you for being a smelly nice and fun travel buddy!!

2 comments:

M00nie said...

Thanks for bein my smelly travel partner too ! (who didn't take bath in da morn huh ?) n thanks for bein da navigator ... i'd b lost in hk without u ... muahahhaha ... hope we can do it sometime again ...

cr4zy/b3autiful said...

the reason u bathe every morn is cuz u're smelly and dirty! hahahahahha

cant blame ya cuz u wear the same jacket to bed too..ROFL~

haha yeah hope we can do it again ..(but pls bring more jackets next time.. hahahahah jkjkjk)