20070907

Out and About In Malacca

Last Saturday was a total blast. Went to Malacca with a bunch of HELP AIESECers and of cos the DAs = D. Considered it as my first trip to the historical town albeit my parents had brought me there when I was just a little toddler (that doesn't count cuz I dont have any memories of being there at all).



We embarked on the journey at 0900 hours. After almost one and a half hours drive from KL, we finally arrived at our destination; i.e. The Malacca Town !!!!



Our first stop for the day: The famous Dutch relic ; i.e The Stadthuys, which is one of the oldest Dutch buildings in Malacca. Robin and Guido were so proud of the relic because it marked the heritage of the Dutch and I think that it made them felt closer to home since they've been away from home for 2 months...



Since we're famished after the one and a half hours ride, we headed to one of Malacca's most famous chicken rice ball shop for lunch (Sorry, I forgot the name..it's located at the corner right after the bridge). You definitely won't miss the shop because it's overcrowded. Even the Japanese knew that it's famous =) We waited for 15 minutes before we were finally seated. Because we're dead hungry, the 15-minutes wait seemed like forever.



The Chicken is oh-so-smooth and tender. I totally enjoy it =)


As for the rice balls, I thought it was overrated. Not as tasty as I had expected. A tad too sticky for my liking. I still prefer the good ol' oily rice.

After lunch, it's time to get down and dirty at every nooks and crannies of the historical town!


Robin & Guido popped in a vintage store where they sell all sorts of things ranging from tribal masks to ancient Malaysia notes ...Well, you name it; they got it.




Robin got a chopsticks set while Guido bought a tribal masquerade and a pair of Chinese ornaments for his sisters.

Next, we visited the Christ Church and the Middleburg Bastion before dropping by at the Museum of Ethnography and History.








The Middleburg Bastion was recently founded by the town council when they were digging the spot for development purposes. It was built by the Dutch, destroyed by the British and restored by the Malaysian Government. MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!



We attempted to do the jumping shots - AGAIN. This time around, the boys were messing around and surprisingly, the end results were satisfying. I love how natural we looked..
Especially Robin's silly expression..That totally got me laughing everytime I look at it X-D



Then, we visited the place that needs no further introduction; The A'Famosa which was built by the Portugese !!!



We hanged around for quite a while at the A'Famosa...Taking pictures and videos =) .
Robin's rendition of 'Tung Hua'
Even some Indonesian tourists want to take a picture with them...Everybody wants a piece of them. There's also a group of Malay girls who went berserk when Guido put his arms around one of the Malay girl. She screamed!!!Too bad I wasn't there to witness this absurd behaviour. Another random Malay girl even has the guts to ask Guido for his email after scoring one picture with him!!! How desperate is that?! But of course, he gave her the fake email address ;p

The DAs have the tendency to carry people - out of a sudden...So, we girls have to be on our guards but we failed miserably because somehow they'll find a way to do it...I totally digged my own grave when I tried to get back at Guido for messing with us girls...



Luckily, it was only Guido because if the two monkeys teamed up, I think I'll be upside down.


Took some group pics before Chad brought us to a satay shop to devour ourselves with satays and ketupats. THe DAs had 30 satays EACH.


The last stop of the day is the ever-famous Jonker Walk . The DAs did their last minute shopping here before departing for the Netherlands on the day after. Jonker Walk has unleashed their inner shopaholics. They buy and buy and buy like there's no tomorrow.




We found the perfect gift for the DAs initially. It was a T-Shirt with a quirky slogan; i.e. To Lah or Not To Lah??? Since Robin is infected with our LAH syndrome, it would be the perfect gift for them...However, the price is a tad too expensive for the low T-shirt quality.In the end , we didn't buy it..But we gave them another perfect present that almost brought tears to their eyes =)




No words could describe my foremost visit to Malacca Town.The pictures already did all the talking. Hehe..



I had a ball that day although we were dog-tired. Wish you were here ;p

p.s. Yea, just say it : We are sooooo VAIN....

No comments: