20071021

Of Stereotypes and Labels

Many a time, we ALWAYS judge a person the minute we laid eyes on them.You know, their sense of style, their hair, their vital stats and of cos the inevitable one, their FACE. We always have this preconceived notions about the person albeit the fact that we barely know the person at all.

More often than not, I have been stereotyped into the party girl category. In fact, many people were taken aback when I told them I rarely visit the clubs and pubs.And the usual reply from them was : " But you looked like those frequent clubbers wor". Argh, how insulting!!!!

Just because the way I portrayed myself as outgoing and somewhat stylish, immediately people will labelled you as the wild child. What's more degrading is that one person thinks that I'm a smoker because I looked like the frequent clubber (Again!!!! **rolls eyes**).FYI, I HATE smokers !!!! I hate the fact that they are so ignorant, puffing that cancer stick in public just to satisfy their pleasure, endangering the lives of non-smokers with their stupid secondhand smoke. And THAT is the most humiliating thing to ever classified me in the same category as them!!!!

And also, just because I have substance sartorially, that doesn't mean I have no substance elsewhere. Of course, I admit that I have been ignorant about the world issues and definitely need to up the ante since most of my lecturers now have been questioning our general knowledge .It's an embarrassment when we could not do anything but to feel helpless when they tested our knowlegde.

Time and time again, we've heard about the saying "Never Judge A Book By Its' Cover". Yet, we humans tend to do the opposite =). Yea, I'm guilty of that.Sigh...How I wish people would know more about an individual before making any judgements - bad/good. After all, looks can be very very deceiving.

3 comments:

M00nie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M00nie said...

Ohh, a post that is a little more personal. (Is this why it's by invitation now ?) I think this is only the second post of the like.
Well, I guess you don't have to be overly negative about it. Cause it will eventually be a shocker to them when they get to know you.
Besides, these impressions are coupled with the view that you are outgoing and outstanding.
Undeniably, I am one of those who's had these stereotype preconceived notions of you. But as I get to know you, I know that you're not and this actually made me want to get to know you more.
Cheerz !

cr4zy/b3autiful said...

hey angela...that's very sweet of u...and no, that's not the reason why it's by invitation now...i'm not overly negative about it...It's just that I'm so sick of these "oh- it's -just- a -shocker -that -you -arent- those clubbers- but- u -looked -like -one".nonetheless, thanks for the uplifting comments though =D